Lessie is now in possession of a degree in management and is actively seeking her new role. If you wish to know her existing professional background, everything is listed in the tabs below. You can also visit her LinkedIn profile.
Sales Associate – 11/2016 – 02/2018
Macy’s, Aiea, HI
Part-time position in Lingerie and Women’s apparel while attending school full-time.
- Direct customer service
- Cashiering & cash handling
- Intimate customer relations
- Client development (personal shopper)
Cap Team – Stocker – 03/2016 – 09/2016
Walmart, Pearl City, HI
Part-time Associate on Cap Team as Product Stocker in Consumables while attending school full-time.
- Direct Customer Contact on sales floor during second shift
- Assist as a Cashier upon request
- Departments of note: Foods (Dry Goods and Frozen), Pets (handling live fish), Cosmetics, Paper Goods and Chemicals (cleaning supplies)
Webmaster – 05/2012 – 02/2014
Hawaii Coffee Company, Honolulu, HI
Responsible for web presence and presentation of Hawaii Coffee Company and its brands (LION Coffee, Royal Kona Coffee and Hawaiian Islands Tea) in social media, ecommerce, direct marketing, email marketing and overall look of all web sites and social sites, particularly during transition from old site software to new site software. Integration with internal systems (ERP) for the processing of web, mail-in and phone orders as well as customer management.
Key motivator in services, workflows and processes related to the interaction and decimation of information to and for customers worldwide to include:
- Content management on all websites (copy writing, product presentation, faq, etc.)
- Email processes and management for entire mail order department
- Flexibility and quick adaptation as decades-old software and processes were being modernized to suit today’s technology & customer demand.
- Redesign and manage promotional email campaigns from “flier” style to a more interactive, presentation type of email.
- Segmentation of email subscription lists, including the implementation of a 100% Opt-In policy and procedures for said lists.
- Restructuring of content on multiple websites for better presentation and ease of updating.
- Implementation and management of social channels for all brands – specifically Facebook
- Summer Recipe Campaign, 2013 – curate, test and distribute coffee and tea related recipes from May through the end of July.
- Customer support and service via phone and email.
- Technical support for Multi-channel Order Management (MOM) system to include:
- Database Administration (Visual Fox Pro)
- Database Migration (from Visual Fox Pro to MySQL)
- Data Integration (from website to internal database)
- Management of several “stores” within the structure
- Configurations for various types of promotions
- Analysis of daily workflows in Customer Service Department for better efficiency
- Documentation of company specific procedures, workflows and processes
Marketing Director, 11/2003 – 02/2012
Safety Systems Hawaii, Inc., Honolulu, HI
Handle all print and web advertising, public relations for the firm, retail merchandising, events both public and internal as well as managing and overseeing all training sessions for customers and employees. At maximum, supervised a staff of 5 graphic designers and specialists while in this position.
The company’s decision to create a web presence morphed into an e-commerce solution that I took over from the IT department to produce and manage after training one of my staff to be the new Marketing Coordinator and splitting the Marketing Department into two functioning entities – In-house Marketing and Web Marketing. I mentored the Marketing Coordinator who managed print marketing, events, and retail merchandising while I took on building and leading the Web Marketing department.
Within a year of this split in 2005, I engineered and managed a conversion project for full e-commerce capability of three business entities (Safety Systems Hawaii, One Shot Supplies and Brandy Signs) to all work within a single customized software package. This involved the management of internal and external resources (programmers & testers) around the world, supervision of 4 in-house staffers (designers and developers), and performing low-level server configurations as well as Java programming using CVS and Bugzilla. In 2006, the company’s e-commerce platform was unveiled at the Governor’s Pacific Rim Safety Conference – on time.
Eventually, growth of the site was straining the server stack, and a sub-domain was created to split editorial content and the MSDS depository from e-commerce content. This was completed and went live with the 2010 PacRim Safety Conference.
Integration with internal systems (database, ERP, etc.) was being planned and engineered when the company was merged into a corporate structure and all development was stopped and tech put into maintenance status. My position was changed to “Web/IT” at that time as I “merged” into the IT department.
As Marketing Director:
- Supervision and production of 3 print catalogs (4c throughout)
- Lead generation during public events for sales
- Organizing multiple vendors for various public events through the year
- Event planning (training sessions, marketing events, dinner functions, fundraisers, holiday parties
- Creation of newsletter and mail lists for various customer segments (contract customers)
- Public relations during emergency situations (press releases, spokesperson)
- On-call for state emergencies (hurricane, earthquakes, etc.)
- Knowledge of all products and services of the companies
- Creation of programs to help educate employees and customers of product necessity and use
- Presentations and training sessions for employees and customers
As Web Development Manager:
- MySQL database management (command line & GUI interface)
- Linux Administration (RedHat Enterprise and CentOS – attended PCATT RHCT courses)
- Velocity Template customizations (3 entire site redesigns/restructurings)
- Hibernate configurations (Struts Java structure)
- Java programming (Attended PCATT classes for learning in 2005)
- Apache HTTPD configurations (proxy-ing several domains & sub-domains to different Tomcat instances – maximum 6 at one time)
- Management of Social Network outlets ( Facebook, LinkedIn, UpFront & Twitter) for marketing purposes
- Budgeting for planned development to keep abreast with current technologies
- Preliminary work for mobile interface to ecommerce site
- Helpdesk for 150+ users, including desktop, laptop and smart phone configurations
- Network configurations and setup (converting 150 workstations and 30+ printers within new network architecture)
- Server Administration (Linux, Windows 2003/2008, some Active Directory & Mail Exchange)
- Support & Training on new technologies, including new ERP & POS systems implemented by corporate
- Maintenance of all websites and social media presences
- Split of websites (One Shot Supplies went to that company, Safety Systems Hawaii and Brandy Signs went to the new corporation)
- Short training period for One Shot Supplies employees taking over their site
- Documentation of all website development, customizations, and operations
- Assist with knowledge transfer of websites to outsource entity
Graphic Designer-Art Director, 01/2002 – 06/2003
NuSouth Press / Burchell Publishing & Printing, Pensacola, FL
Layout, design and pre-flight various print projects to include books and magazines. Projects included stationary, posters, Point of Sale items, stickers, fliers, brochures, pamphlet, catalogs and other print media items. Also contributed as a writer for the Pensacola city magazine with feature articles and a tourism column.
Publications as Art Director:
- REALTOR – Pensacola Board of Realty, monthly magazine
- Downtown Pensacola – weekly news periodical
Prepress Specialist, 03/2001 – 12/2001
The LTC Group, North Haven, CT
Utilization of Desktop Publishing skills and creative talent to contribute to success of established commercial group. Member of team dedicated to the service of national clients such as Heineken, D.L. Ryan, Leverte and Purina. Multiple contributions toward the establishment of a help line for the launch of Heineken’s Distributor Program, consisting of multimedia CD’s supplied nationwide. Assist with film/color-key development and studio photography, which sparked continuing interest in photography concepts, particularly composition for advertising. Cross-trained in catalog production (Sears, JC Penny) to assist during “crunch periods” with focus on galley insertions, composition and copy editing.
Prepress Assistant Manager, 10/2000 – 03/2001
Kurt H. Volk Milford, CT
Hired to train under the Prepress Manager to take over his position upon his retirement. Assisted with the daily production needs of the company which produced mailers for companies such as Readers’ Digest and Publisher’s Clearing House. The owner of the company decided to close down due to health reasons and increased competition because the patents the company owned having expired. Assisted smaller customers by helping them find new relationships with other prepress companies for their printing needs.
Prepress Manager, 06/2000 – 10/2000
Upscale Printing & Graphics Manchester, CT
Supervision of 2 graphic designers and 1 specialized camera operator for the production of large-scale format designs produced by silk-screen & inkjet printing. Networked the entire department (previously were stand-alone Mac systems) with a central file-server and film production machine, Gerber vinyl cutter, and standard laser printer. This heightened efficiencies and project turnover within the department, resulting in a 25% increase in pre-press turnaround. Worked on several projects for Metro-North, LTC Group and various billboard companies.
Network Manager, 12/1997 – 06/2000
Honolulu Publishing Company, Honolulu, HI
After hiring and training a new Advertising Art Director (AAD), organized projects to upgrade, update, and integrate systems within the company. Maintained mentorship of new AAD and helped with overflow production needs as necessary.
Network consisted of 47 workstations for sales and editorial teams, 8 pre-press production workstations, and various servers scattered through the building. The accounting department was standalone consisting of 6 workstations and 1 server all running on Windows95. The main task of my new position as Network Manager was to integrate all workstations into a single network. Several projects were necessary to accomplish this.
- Supervised and assisted in the rewiring of the entire facility (then on the corner of Merchant & Bethel Streets) with CAT5 wiring for reconfiguring of the company’s network from FriendlyNet to Ethernet and the implementation of a T1 drop from GTE to service the facility – all this without marring the internal architecture of the historical building.
- Negotiate and purchase (within budget) all new iMacs for the editorial and sales staff while maintaining and upgrading several production machines in the graphics department.
- Setup of all new equipment (memory upgrades specifically)
- Installation and first-run of all new iMacs
- Training for sales and editorial staff on new software and network services
- Introduced and implemented several new network services (internal email, fax & print servers) all on various Apple servers within the newly structured network.
- Responsible for all digital security and backup plans, as well as emergency services and restoration.
- Documentation of network properties: historical, present, and planned.
- Began planning for interfacing the sales department (then on iMacs) with the accounting department (then on Windows95) via a central database server (at the time 4D).
Upon tendering my resignation, helped hire and train new Network Administrator on all existing systems and planned projects.
Advertising Art Director, 12/1997 – 06/2000
Honolulu Publishing Company, Honolulu, HI
Intense use of various desktop publishing applications to create, preflight, and design advertisements and special advertising sections for insertion to publications (Honolulu Magazine, Island Business, Hawaii Drive Guides, and other special publications). Also managed hardware and networking for the entire company on a Macintosh/FriendlyNet network (47 workstations and 3 servers – see Network Manager position for specifics). Eventually, split the position in two, assisted in hiring and training a new AAD as I became the Network Manager on a full time basis.
1978 – 1997
- Assisted with the accounting and taught painting classes for the family ceramics business, Zoä of Hawaii, beginning in 1978 until 1980
- From 1982, participant in the Hawaii Summer Youth Program at various schools each summer helping the janitorial staff until enlistment in the Army Reserves in 1985
- From 1985 until 1989, participant in the Army Reserves based out of Ft. DeRussy, HI and a “Kelly Girl” Temporary Receptionist/Secretary/Researcher for several firms, notably: Gil, Park, Park & Kim (personal injury law firm)
- Moved to Pennsylvania to enroll in the Philadelphia School of Arts and Communications in 1989
- In 1990 became a stay-at-home parent, doing part-time and freelance jobs to help support a growing family
- Joined the ranks of Mac-Temps (now Aquent) for temporary and part-time assignments as a Graphic Designer and PrePress Specialist. Notable assignments: Merril Lynch, Paula Chamlee, The Lehigh County, Cornerstone Communications and Cornerstone Publishing.
- Worked for Minuteman Press in Allentown, PA and Bell Atlantic Directory Graphics in Philadelphia, PA as a Graphic Designer for both firms.
- Returned to Hawaii in 1997.
Webwright & Chronicler
Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA)
Barony of Western Seas (SCA group based in Hawaii)
With involvement dating back to 1989, officially became a member of this international, non-profit organization in July of 2014; known as Sadhbh inghean Uí Conghal. The Society is dedicated to researching and recreating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe and the cultures encountered by early Europeans. The local group helps to educate others through events, demonstrations and informative documentations.
November 2014 – Present
Webmaster (called “Webwright” within the society) managing the internet presence of the local group as well as email services.
◊ Considered an officer of the group helping to make leadership decisions
◊ Redesign of website into dynamic HTML utilizing CSS for responsiveness
◊ Management of six  related websites
◊ Migration into WordPress CMS
◊ Management of Social Media efforts via Facebook and MeetUp
January 2016 – Present
Publisher/Editor (called “Chronicler” within the society) of bi-monthly newsletter used as informational periodical as well as marketing material for the group
◊ Restructuring of newsletter started in November 2015 with transfer of duties from departing Chronicler
◊ Changed to bi-monthly circulation from quarterly
◊ Soliciting content from other members of the group throughout the state
◊ Publishing calendar to include themes, important dates, submission guidelines
◊ Redesign of newsletter to a more magazine layout and presentation
◊ Full color presentation
◊ Regular columns and articles on continuous topics
◊ Active editing of all submissions, writing content to fill page count
◊ Production of hi-resolution document for printing purposes and lo-resolution version for digital distribution
◊ Acts in the capacity of writer, photographer, designer and editor to support submitted content
Bazaaro Community, Inc. DBA Stratics
October 2014 – July 2015
Publisher of all content under the Stratics brand related to the Massively Multiplayer Online game, Ultima Online.
◊ Assist with management and full configuration of software stack to operate several WordPress Instances to host all Stratics.com content and properties
◊ Provide support, insight and direction for new development
◊ Management of databases and PHP coded site
◊ Support for large community forum as Administrator
◊ Documentation of staff services and abilities
◊ Content management and migration from static to dynamic (pages to posts)
◊ Publishing Manager and Editor of all sites and content
◊ Research and Development of new technologies for websites (content and forum) as well as services for the overall Community
While the brand and domain Stratics.com is the longest running MMO community site, it has gone through many ownership changes which lead in a change of direction several times and an overall loss in identity. In an effort to not alienate the majority of the existing community, Stratics has returned to its roots as a fansite dedicated to Ultima Online. This radical change from expansion to consolidation meant a change in direction for the entire volunteer team. The announcement was made in March, 2015. A complete overhaul of the site(s) is in progress.
Administrator | Vice President Publishing | Managing Editor
Valour Corp DBA Stratics.com
August 2013 – October 2014
Providing leadership, direction and support to the vast amount of contributing writers, editors, managers and technicians who have helped to make Stratics.com one of the oldest gaming communities on the internet.
◊ VP of Publishing – Guide the continued growth of the website, brand, and communities involved
◊ Editor In Chief – Provide content, edit all submitted content, and assist, direct and help Managing Editors who run their assigned communities.
Involvement is driven by a life-long-love of Fantasy Gaming which matured into Online Gaming and writing fan-fic as well as developing a gaming persona named Kirthag DiOrsae since 1982. Use the nom de plume Kirthag in the gaming multiverses.
In 2000 and 2009, served the Stratics Community as a volunteer news reporter for the Ultima Online server of Napa Valley. This involved journalistic reporting on in-game events, interviews of notable players, and community involvement with various groups and guilds in the game.
During this period, Stratics proudly served as a conduit for a career path in gaming by providing volunteer and paid staff members an opportunity to gain experience as artists, writers, coders, and community managers for a major gaming network in anticipation of eventual careers within the gaming industry.
2004 – 2009
Reporting on in-game community activities on the Napa Valley Shard of Ultima Online from 2004 to 2005 then again from 2008 to 2009. This included writing news-worthy articles on events within the game, interviewing prominent players and interacting with developers. Sometimes the articles took on a more fictional feel due to the aspect of the genre.
◊ Social and community interaction with player base
◊ Research and development of relationships within the Ultima Online community
◊ Communicating ideas between community and site management as a sort of “customer service liason”
◊ Generating interest of in-game events
◊ Adobe Flash, Adobe Fireworks
◊ Apache HTTPD Management and Configurations
◊ LAMT – Tomcat Management and Configurations [4-6]
◊ LAMP – PHP Management and Configurations
◊ Command Line [Linux, Windows]
◊ Java Programming | Stand-alone Software Development
◊ HTML/CSS/XML Web Design to W3C standards
◊ UX/UI Development and Practices
◊ Website Development for Platform/Device Compatibility
◊ Macintosh Operating Systems [Classic OS 6-9]
◊ Windows Operating Systems [95-8.1] as user and help-desk
◊ Windows Server Systems 2003, 2005 with Active Directory
◊ Microsoft Office Suite 2003 – 2016 [Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint]
◊ Microsoft Visio Pro [project management, data mining, schema tracing & schematic diagrams]
◊ MySQL Engineering & Administration [command line & GUI]
◊ Network configurations, conversions, philosophies & principals
◊ Journalism, News Journalism, Editing and Publishing [periodical and internet]
◊ Video Streaming & Creation for internet use
◊ Policy, Procedure and Technical writing [training materials and operations]
◊ Procedure Writing, Lesson Planning, Training, Public Speaking
◊ Scheduling & Time Management
◊ Social Media Management
◊ Social Networking & Marketing
◊ Email & Direct Marketing
◊ Public Relations
◊ Project Planning & Management
◊ Online Journalism & Blogging Practices
◊ Search Engine Optimization
◊ Copy Editing / Creative Editing
◊ Content Management Strategy & Planning
◊ Server Stack Configurations and Administration for Linux
◊ Confluence [Java based wiki software]
◊ Jira [Java based issue tracking software]
◊ Roller [Java based content management]
◊ WordPress & WPMU configurations, management and operations
Leeward Community College, Pearl City, HI
Graduate with Honors, May 2018
Dean’s List, GPA 3.75
Associate of Science in Management
With studies in Business Law and Beginning Japanese
Phi Thetta Kappa, member
Phi Beta Lambda / Enactus Business Club
◊ President, 2017-18
◊ Chair, Fall Craft Fair, 2017
◊ Secretary, 2016-17
◊ Co-Chair, Fall Craft Fair, 2016
PCATT at Honolulu Community College, Honolulu, HI
For career advancement
Fundamentals of Java Programming Levels I & II completed in August, 2005
RedHat Computing Essentials & RHCT completed by December, 2008
Lehigh County Community College, Allentown, PA
For career advancement
WordPerfect certification course completed in August 1994
LotusWorks certification course completed in August 1994
Leilehua High School, Wahiawa, HI, US
General classes with emphasis on JROTC and Math with 2 years of Spanish (I & II) and BASIC computer programming.
Extracurricular involvement in the Rifle Team (3 years), Drama Club and judging for Elementary level Speech tournaments.
2005-present | International Webmasters Association (IWA) – Basic Member
2013-present | AIGA Honolulu Chapter
1985 – 1993 US Army Reserves | Honorably Discharged E3p
MOS 29J10 (Teletype Repair Technician)
◊ Ft. Jackson, SC
◊ Ft. Gordon, GA
◊ Ft. DeRussy, HI
◊ Tobyhanna Army Depot, PA